The Dangers Of Mold And Why You Need To Remove It ASAP

Mold is more than just a musty relic that looks fit only for the trash. It can damage your home and cause a variety of health issues.

Molds are fungi that grow when wet cellulose materials are present. They can leave behind unsightly stains, unpleasant odors, and can even eat away at the materials they are growing on.


Mold spores can cause allergic reactions, including runny noses, itchy eyes and skin rashes. Symptoms can also affect breathing and are worsened by asthma or other respiratory illnesses. For mild allergies, over-the-counter nasal sprays like Claritin, Benadryl or Zyrtec can help to clear up a stuffy nose and relieve congestion. For more severe symptoms, allergy shots can be used to desensitize the immune system and reduce reactions to mold spores.

People who work in professions that expose them to high levels of mold—like agriculture, dairy work and logging—and those with preexisting health conditions such as lung disease or a compromised immune system are at greater risk for allergies to mold. These allergens can also trigger asthma attacks in people with asthma and lead to a condition known as hypersensitivity pneumonitis. In rare cases, some types of mold can produce toxic substances called mycotoxins, but the exact conditions under which they release these toxins are not fully understood.

Respiratory Issues

Mold spores can be inhaled by anyone and cause breathing problems. They also can irritate the skin and eyes. Some types of mold also produce chemicals called mycotoxins, which are poisonous.

Most often, a person’s reaction to mold spores depends on their sensitivity, other medical conditions and the amount and type of spores. Mold spores can trigger allergies and respiratory symptoms, such as coughing and wheezing, and exacerbate asthma. Some people are more vulnerable to illness from indoor mold than others, especially infants and children, elderly adults, and those with weakened immune systems.

There are some reports that some toxic molds that can cause unique or rare health issues, such as pulmonary hemorrhage in infants and memory loss. However, a link between these health effects and the presence of the mold has not been proven. Other health problems associated with exposure to mold include fatigue and respiratory issues. These can be caused by irritation or a systemic fungal infection, which requires a physician to perform skin prick tests or blood work to diagnose.

Damage to Property

While most people realize that household mold is unsightly and bad-smelling, few realize it can be quite damaging to the building itself. This is because mold feeds on organic materials, such as wood and many types of fabrics. This eats away at these materials, causing them to rot or fall apart. If left unchecked, this can lead to a caving in of ceilings or the collapse of floorboards.

It is also possible for certain types of mold to produce mycotoxins, which can be toxic to humans. While most people are unaffected by exposure to mold, those with allergies, respiratory conditions, or weakened immune systems can be more susceptible.

The easiest way to get rid of mold is to call mold removal Lansing MI professionals. You can also remove the material and clean the area where it is growing. Nonporous surfaces, such as metals and glass can be cleaned, but porous materials may have to be thrown out. You should always use a face mask or N95 respirator when using bleach to kill mold and prevent the release of toxic fumes.

Health Issues

Many molds produce allergens, irritants and sometimes toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mold spores can trigger allergic responses including hay fever-type symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. Molds may also exacerbate respiratory diseases such as bronchitis and asthma in sensitive individuals. Mold has been linked to the uncommon condition of hypersensitivity pneumonitis in susceptible people.

Some molds can also release toxins called mycotoxins. These are chemical compounds produced by the fungus during growth and can cause opportunistic infections in people with weakened immune systems, such as HIV patients or transplant recipients taking immunosuppressive drugs.

Comments are closed.